Saratoga Oscars cancelled once again May 26, 2009 — by Tiffany Tung Permalink For the second year in a row, the Saratoga Oscars has been canceled because of a lack of entries. Although the video class is visibly frustrated, one person is perhaps the most upset by this situation— senior Alex Ren, who had been looking forward to this event since the idea was formed last year. “This is my last year at SHS, and I am disappointed that the event fell through again,” said Ren. For the past two months, teachers and announcements have informed students to submit their entries to the Saratoga Oscars in a box in the office. Many teachers assign video projects, and therefore, Ren expected more submissions than those submitted. “Although teachers encouraged their students, we did not receive enough entries to hold a contest. I believe three or four of the submissions were from the same director,” he said. Despite this, however, the entries will still be shown and feedback will be given, but not in a formal setting like the McAfee Center as previously intended. Awards will also be given to participating entries, and Ren expects them to receive the awards before the end of the year. The advisor to the event, video production, woodshop, and media arts teacher Tony Palma, also stated that all directors that submitted entries would receive a gift certificate as thanks for their participation. Nonetheless, Ren believes that there will be more submissions in the coming years. “With the emerging MAP program, I think that perhaps the event could be more successful next year,” said Ren.