Class of ‘24 gets sent off with action-packed rally

Bryan Zhao
Senior Omead Bagherian crowd surfs in the seniors following the popping of the balloons.

The end-of-year rally went full-on Hunger Games last Friday as classes competed in events such as bubble ball fighting, a taco-eating competition and a free-for-all flag tag game. Complementing this event were groups such as robotics, dance and cheer all put on a chain of unique showcases to strut their stuff. 

At the beginning of the rally, the first game, Human Bubble Balls, was introduced. This classic game involved two people in inflatable bubbles attempting to bump each other out of bounds.

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Sophomore Ian Johnson and senior Nommi Aminzadeh run into each other in inflatable bubbles in an attempt to knock each other out of bounds.

Following the intense game, which resulted in the win of junior Alessandro Kaypaghian, Saratoga Cheer showcased an impressive routine.

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Freshman Dezi Lencioni and juniors Annaliese Shab and Sydney Li carry senior Riley Alves as she dances.

Immediately following the performance, the lights dimmed and the FRC robotics team 649 Fish brought out their robot. Though it faced minor cases of undervoltage, sophomores Arjun Bawa, Ishaan Rao and Ishir Gupta successfully launched multiple rings into the crowd.

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Caption: 649 Fish’s robot, “Jaws,” shoots a large orange ring into the crowd.

After the robotics demonstration by team 649 Fish, the school’s highly competitive dance team put on an impressive fast-paced dance performance with high-frequency music playing in the background. 

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Freshman Mieke Strydom dances alongside sophomore Camille Rose and junior Saejel Thomas.

Proceeding the end of these demonstrations and performances was the food-eating contest. The competition involved eating five tacos the fastest and fortunately, there were no messy accidents.

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Sophomore Anthony Tran gorges down a taco as freshman Ryan Gangemi pauses mid-bite.

After facing a controversial decision by the judges, the winner was junior Sawyer Chao, as he beat freshman Ryan Gangemi, sophomore Anthony Tran and senior Mitchell Chen. Then came the highlight of the rally, involving a free-for-all flag-pulling contest. 

Photo by Bryan Zhao 

Senior Tristan Hoang faces off against sophomore Vedant Padhi’s fast reflexes.

The competition ended with a senior victory by a large margin against the few remaining juniors. This marked the conclusion of the game portion and made way for Singing For Smiles to sing with the crowd.

After the Singing for Smiles performance, the senior class was ushered into the center of the gym where balloons were attached to the roof, ready to fall. The junior class moved into the senior class’ bleachers, the sophomores to the juniors’ and the freshmen into the sophomores’. After the rally, seniors filled the room with their celebrations and balloon-popping in the middle of the gym.