Senior Mag: What to do instead of studying  

Ariel Zhou
A collection of a few crochet projects I’ve completed in my free time.

As a student at a school brimming with academic demands and deadlines, I  often found the need to escape the confines of textbooks and lectures. When the call of procrastination rang loud, my mind often sought solace in other activities. So, practicing the art of evasion, I found myself asking: What do I do instead of studying? From the dancing of hooks and yarns to a simple stroll, I proved the possibilities are endless. 

Pick up a new hobby

Amid the whirlwind of academic obligations, discovering a passion beyond the realm of exams and textbooks can feel like stumbling upon a hidden treasure. Not only will a new hobby offer a temporary escape, it also provides a chance for personal fulfillment. 

Take it from me: Embracing a hobby to take up your time can be one of the most rewarding things. For a few years, crocheting has been my hobby of choice. The rhythm of the stitches and the movement of the hook through the yarn create a space for me to unwind after a long day at school. Not only does this activity take up hours of your day, but it will also leave you with something to show for your “unproductivity.” 

Photo by: Ariel

With just four ingredients, you too could be on your way to creating your own vibrant, slimy masterpiece. 

Make a bowl of slime

One of the most popular trends when I was in middle school has now become one of my favorite pastimes. With just a few simple ingredients like glue, Borax and food coloring, you too can transform a gray afternoon into a colorful adventure. 

The process of mixing and then kneading the slime provides a distraction from the stress of school, and it engages your senses in a way that is both therapeutic and satisfying. 

​​Photo by: Ariel

It only takes a pair of walkable shoes, a sweater, and a dog (optional).

Put on some shoes and go for a walk

With all the hustle and bustle of academic life, sometimes the best remedy for a tired mind is simply stepping outside and reconnecting with the world around you. Lace up your shoes, step out into the fresh air and let the rhythm of your footsteps guide you on a calming and meditative journey. 

Whether it’s a leisurely stroll through a nearby park or a brisk walk around your neighborhood, simply moving your body after sitting behind a desk all day can do wonders for your mental well-being. As you immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of being outdoors, you’ll find your worries melting away. And when you return home, refreshed and rejuvenated, you’ll be prepared to tackle whatever challenges come your way with renewed energy and clarity.

In the pursuit of a balance between academic rigor and personal well-being, it’s essential to recognize the value of giving yourself a break. These moments of respite play a very important role in maintaining a healthy learning mindset and perspective. So, the next time you feel like you’ve hit a studying wall, consider indulging in one of these activities — it might just be the refreshing break you need to return to your studies.