A chair-full experience: Two students sharing the same seats across different periods discuss their opinions on their seating

Kathy Wang

Each seat in a classroom has its own quirks, whether it comes with a constant 90-degree neck strain to see the board, a built-in backseat chair kicker or the privilege of being involved in chemistry teachers’ heart-jolting, front-desk demonstrations. 

So, to discover the true character of various seats around campus, we went into the field to interview the people actually sitting in those chairs, to gain a better perspective on the day-to-day of different classroom seats. In order to get multiple perspectives on each seat, we interviewed a set of chair twins with the same seat across different periods. 

A lab table in the back left of the Physics 1 and 2 classroom gives students some freedom and entertainment — but with some chairing pains

Sitting in a high-chair next to the windows of the physics classroom, junior AP Physics 1 & 2 students Sameera Kapur and Grace Liu — who are in 6th period and 4th period respectively — offer their opinions on their year-long seats.

The Falcon’s conversation with Kapur

Falcon: So at the beginning of the year, how did you choose your seat as the Chair connoisseur?

Kapur: I came late. And I wanted a lab table. And I didn’t want to sit right in the front. But all the other tables were taken, so I decided to sit behind a really smart person. I figured I could piggyback off of that.

Falcon: Okay, and what is your favorite thing about your seat?

Kapur: What I also like about my seat is that I get a very nice view of the entire class. And so when certain people are asleep, or when certain people are playing video games, I’m kind of in the know, you know, and I like being in the know. 

I also really like that I can stare outside the window and see the Physics C kids. It seems like every single one of them takes one bathroom break every class because there is never a stop of [Physics] C kids that are just walking past our classroom.

Falcon: How do you know they are Physics C?

Kapur: Because they’re all in robotics!

Falcon: What do you like about your seat? 

Kapur: Well, because [Physics 1 & 2 teacher Tom Casavant] is right handed, when he writes, the left side of the board is free, so I can see what he’s writing.

Falcon: Wow, very good insight. What is your biggest pet peeve about your seat? 

Kapur: So there’s this girl who sits, not directly in front of me, but like one seat in front of me. And she answers questions a lot, right? But like she usually does it in a quiet voice. And then [Casavant], when she answers the question, instead of repeating the answer, he just says: “Yes, right,” and then just doesn’t elaborate. So I don’t hear what the answer is. If I was closer, I would be able to hear [her].

I also really like that the lab tables have a place where you can rest your legs. But I wish it was disconnected because my partner, especially during tests, bounces her legs, and I hate that feeling of up and down.

Falcon: And what about a funny anecdote you have as a result of your seat?

Kapur: I have that one time I was, instead of doing my work, I was doing the New York Times crossword and when you finish the crossword, it plays like a tune. And I had my volume on full. And so it played, but he didn’t catch me because I was sitting in the back. 

The Falcon’s conversation with Liu

Falcon: What is your favorite part about your seat?

Liu: I guess one thing that I like is I get to see the windows and the people that pass by so I can wave. 

Falcon: Oh cool, and also, you know how Mr. Casavant always comes around to ask questions. Are you one of the first people to get picked on?

Liu: Yeah he does, and I guess one thing I don’t like is that when he collects homework, [my lab partner and I are]  one of the first ones, and I never have my binder ready so then he leaves and I can’t get my stuff. 

Falcon: Is there anything else about the lab tables that make it special, like getting to sit on a taller chair?

Liu: Oh yes! Actually, the swivel chairs [at the lab tables] are so fun!

Falcon: Do you swivel during class?

Liu: Oh yeah, all the time.

Falcon: Are you one of those crazy people who hit their legs on the table all the time?

Liu: Okay, I don’t do that. I’m strategic with my swiveling.

Falcon: Haha! Is there another seat you would rather have in the class?

Liu: No!

Falcon: This is your ideal seat?

Liu: Yea!

Falcon: Another thing, do you ever fall off your seats because they’re pretty tall?

Liu: Oh, I actually almost did because I have to grab my binder from my backpack and go all the way down, so I have to do a little maneuver thing. 

Falcon: Give me your TLDR (“Too long; didn’t read”) as a chair connoisseur to all kids who are enrolling in physics next year.

Liu: Chair connoisseur? Yea! So, to all kids who are enrolling in Chem honors or Physics next year, please take the swivel chair. You will be grateful that you did.