The Student News Site of Saratoga High School

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

58 students donate in second blood drive

One out of every 10 people admitted to a hospital needs blood. On April 30, 58 students helped save these people’s lives with their donations to the Stanford Blood Center Drive, a biannual event hosted by the community commission.

The event went on from 8 a.m to 2 p.m. in the Small Gym, which allowed students to choose the most convenient time to go. Students, however, first had to meet a few requirements.

According to head commissioner Daryl Chang, volunteers must not have traveled to a third-world country within the year, must have been at least 17, weigh at least 110 pounds and have high amount of hemoglobin in their blood.

Many students with a fear of needles were frightened at the idea of donating blood, but many were inspired by the idea of potentially saving the lives of others.

“I donated blood because I figure that 30 minutes of my time can give someone else 30 years,” said senior Steven Sung, a second time donor.

According to Chang, the “Pint for A Pint” program gave donors a gift certificate for a pint of ice cream at Baskin Robbins, in addition to stickers, cookies and drinks.

The commission recruited volunteers by posting flyers throughout the campus and by creating a Facebook event.

“Overall, we had a successful blood drive that went smoothly,” Chang said.