The Student News Site of Saratoga High School

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

Girls’ tennis team finishes a four-match week

IMG_0021_0

The girls’ tennis team had a very long week. Instead of the usual two matches on Tuesday and Thursday, they played four matches from Monday through Thursday, Oct. 10 to Oct. 13.

After a pair of 7-0 wins against Mountain View and Palo Alto on Monday and Tuesday, the girls prepared for a big match against Menlo School on Oct. 12 and came away with a 5-2 win.

All three doubles teams won their matches in straight sets, with the No. 2 doubles team of junior Cori Posadas and freshman Arathi Sabada giving the team the necessary fourth match to win.

No. 2 singles player sophomore Kalyani Narayan split sets with her opponent, junior Giannina Ong, and won in the match tiebreak. No. 3 singles player junior Niharika Bedekar put up a valiant fight against opponent sophomore Christine Eliazo in her match tiebreaker after coming back from being behind 2-5 in the second set to win the set 7-6.

Since the match had not been decided when No. 4 singles player freshman Smita Sabada split sets with opponent freshman Elizabeth Yao, she was forced to play a full third set instead of the match tiebreak in lieu of a whole set. The match was close, with Yao winning 6-4, 0-6, 6-3.

“Of course the wins were awesome, but what I was more impressed with was our resilience and determination to not give up even when we were down 2-5 in a set,” coach Tom Uyehara said of Bedekar and Smita Sabada.

The team won 7-0 against Los Altos on Oct. 13.