The Student News Site of Saratoga High School

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

The Saratoga Falcon

Junior finds meal prepping convenient, but troublesome

Tupperware containers stacked upon each other scattered the fridge, holding salads, fruit and even a homemade salad dressing. A bowl containing a yogurt berry smoothie with chia seeds stood next to a giant steel water bottle filled with a green smoothie.

On a recent Tuesday night, I spent about one hour meal prepping: blending, chopping and packing food for the next two days.

Due to extracurriculars and school, I often grab and inhale   food instead of sitting down to eat a proper meal, so when I heard the proposal to try meal prepping for a newspaper story, I decided to take on the challenge.

At first, I had the intention of packing food for four days; however, I soon realized that there weren’t as many tupperware containers in my house as I had originally thought. Additionally, we had returned from a family trip Sunday night so the fridge did not have much food.

I decided to be ambitious and make salads with homemade avocado dressing. Feeling confident, I tossed avocado, parsley, olive oil, water, a significant amount of salt and random spices into a blender and prayed that my concoction would be edible. After a few minutes, I had a green, pesto-like viscous mush that tasted somewhat tasty but did not have much flavor.

Deciding to continue the extremely healthy direction of my meals, I made two salads, a green smoothie and a yogurt berry smoothie.

I got a little annoyed from having to wash the blender three times in a span of 30 minutes. Furthermore, my family probably became annoyed from listening to its seemingly endless whirring.

Looking up at the clock, I realized that it was almost midnight, and I had only prepared food for the first half of the next two days. Also, all of the food I had made would probably leave me hungry. I gave up and went to bed.

The next morning, I woke up at 6:30 as usual and ate half of the yogurt smoothie, which tasted delicious. Having my breakfast already prepared made my morning more relaxed as I found myself with a significant amount of time to spare before I had to leave for school.

I had the remaining Day 1 food along with extra unplanned snacks throughout the rest of the evening.

The next day, my salad sat bleakly in front of me as I looked at the unappetizing cold egg. Eventually, I gave the egg to my dog and instead made myself scrambled eggs with tomato sauce and some of the spinach from my salad, ignoring the fact that I was supposed to be eating meals prepared in advance.

In the evening, I had dinner with at a friend’s house, and I wasn’t about to pass up delicious food like a slice of homemade apple tart. So I decided to ignore my meal prep challenge. I had already failed anyway.

Overall, while meal prepping did help me save time, I disliked the tedious task of preparing all the food and not having a choice of eating based on my cravings and mood on a particular day. Furthermore, I did not leave myself enough time to cook or ensure that I had all the necessary ingredients.

Meal prepping can be an effective way to eat healthier and; however, I would recommend meal prepping for specific meals, rather than for a few days at a time. Furthermore, food prepared right before eating tastes fresher, even though cooking may not always be convenient.

Perhaps I would have a different outlook if I had fully committed to meal prepping for a few days and strictly stuck to the predetermined food intake. But it was worth sacrificing my healthy meals and meal prep challenge for some of that apple tart!